Friday, February 4, 2011

ICC World Cup 2011: Virender Sehwag says he is fit and ready

ICC World Cup 2011: Virender Sehwag says he is fit and ready

India’s destructive opening batsman Virender Sehwag has claimed that he has recovered from his shoulder injury and is ready for the upcoming ICC World Cup 2011 that gets underway on 19 February.

Sehwag missed the entire One-day series in South Africa due to a shoulder pain. Team India’s management wanted to rest Sehwag so that he could recover from his injury and get ready for Cricket’s flagship event.

Sehwag said, “I was feeling some pain in my shoulder. So I thought it was better to quit the South Africa one-dayers. I didn't want to get injured in South Africa tour and miss the World Cup. So I came back and went to Germany to see a couple of doctors. I got a couple of injections and now I'm fine.”

He is one of the most destructive batsmen in the world as he can take the opposition attack to the cleaners with utmost ease. The most important thing about his batting is the strike-rate at which he racks up his runs. His 7,380 One-day runs have come at a strike-rate of 103, averaging 34.

Furthermore, he has done reasonably well in the World Cups, amassing 463 runs at an average of 33. As the tournament is going to be played in the Subcontinent, Sehwag will have an extra advantage of the home conditions.

He said, “I am going to the National Cricket Academy and will spend a couple of days there, to check everything - if I can bowl and throw also but if I can't, then I'll let them know. But yes, at the moment I'm fully fit.”

India’s opening game against Bangladesh will be the curtain raiser of the ICC World Cup 2011. Sehwag has warned his team against complacency and is well aware of the fact that Bangladesh defeated them in the last World Cup. He said that it will be a revenge game for India and they will not take it lightly. 

India’s vice-captain feels that they are one of the favourites to win Cricket’s most coveted trophy. He stated that his team has an upper hand against the stronger teams such as South Africa and England.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...