Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Bangladesh gets a cricketing cracker

She may have set the stage on fire with her presence in the opening night of the the ICC Cricket World Cup 2011 but Nawsheen Nahreen Mou is at ease with her glamour. The Bangladeshi beauty is quite the celebrity in the country - her shows attract viewers by the thousands and her charm have besotted an entire generation. The 27-year-old stunner left a massive impression on international fans and journalists in Dhaka Thursday evening.

A huge roar engulfed the Bangabandhu Stadium as Nawsheen walked up to the stage, wired up and looking the quitnessential Bengali beauty, in her role as a presenter for a part of the glittering evening show. She carried herself with an easy elegance that enchanted a bewitched city. It was not just about the moment or the enormity of an ICC CWC evening that brought out the best in the seasoned TV professional - it was her sheer love for the game, as the lady herself later revealed.

"I have loved cricket since I was a child and I was thrilled to be part of the opening ceremony. I remember watching Mandira Bedi on TV and admiring her grace and presence. That was it - I knew I wanted do something similar in Bangladesh.

"When the ICC CWC opportunity my came way, I just lapped it up," Nawsheen told ESPNSTAR.com.

The doe-eyed Bengali glam symbol hopes her efforts during the opening ceremony would have been noticed by people who mattered, people who could pave a way for her dream to come true one day.

"I know I can present cricket ob TV- I have wanted to do that for some time. A woman getting involved with cricket in Bangladesh will be a big deal. It would be great to do some on-ground reporting and host some shows on TV. If I get a chance, I would love to take it," Nawhseen said in a tone as confident as her stature in Bangladesh demands.

Women presenters in cricket have successfully introduced glamour and grace in a male-dominated game. Most have done that rather well- Ruby Bhati, Mandira Bedi and Mayanti Langer have carved a niche for themselves. Nawsheen wants to achieve what they did but in her own way.

"I don't mind bringing glamour to the table. It is very subjective in different countries. Some aspects of dressing may be normal in India but not in Bangladesh. I have stuck to my style and people love me here for what I am, " Nawseen said.

What matters to actor-presenter is her ability to communicate to the viewers. Nawsheen does not want to be a mere blonde in front of the camera- she is willing to learn and improve on her cricketing knowledge. She realises people want to hear her talk sense about the game and not just see a pretty face on TV.

"People should judge me by how I speak on TV, not by what I wear. Nobody would want to see me if I don't know my stuff. There are certain clothers I just cannot wear- my glamour is inside me, it is what I am and who I am," Nawsheen stressed.

The lady, who seems steadfast in her quest for job as a cricket presenter nurtures a dream for her four-year old son, Ehan Salman: "I want him to be a cricketer. In fact, I won't mind if my son plays cricket instead of studying. My brother played cricket but had to shift focus because of a busy academic career. I hope my son does get to play cricket for Bangladesh," Nawseeh said, sounding more determined than her own ambitions.

Ehan, by the way, loves going by the name of Ehan al-Hasan, after Bangladeshi skipper Shakib al-Hasan: "Shakib is a big hero in our country and my son is a die-hard fan. He wants to be use al-Hasan instead of the family name," Nawseen laughs as she narrates her son's cricket-obsessive behaviour.

Now that she bowled over so many fans with her charm and her smile, what about her own hearthrob? Is there a cricketer she finds irresistably hot? "Wasim Akram," pat comes the reply. "It's not just his looks I loved his height, his smile and the attitude he showed on the field. It was a pleasure to see him run in and bowl those yorkers and swing the ball both ways- Akram was a treat to watch on the cricket field," Nawsheen added.

You cannot have enough of her and fans in Bangladesh and the rest of the sub-contient will wait with some anticipation to see Nawsheen set the TV screens afire with her presence.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...