Thursday, February 24, 2011

Not thinking about playing for SA in 2015 World Cup: Ten Doeschate

NAGPUR: Ask Ryan ten Doeschate whether he feels his superb all-round show against England would prompt his native country South Africa to avail his services in the next World Cup, you get a curt and honest reply, "No, I don't think so."

When asked the diminutive South Africa-born all-rounder whether he thought his Tuesday's performance against England was his last chance to showcase his skills at the big stage considering the fact only 10 teams will feature in the 2015 World Cup in Australia and New Zealand, he replied in the negative.

"I don't think like that. I know this might just be my last World Cup considering next edition will have 10 teams. But I have been playing county cricket (Essex) where I have played with lot of top cricketers. In a few months time, I would be playing in the IPL which will be another big stage," Ten Doeschate said.

Talk about the upcoming IPL, where he would be playing for Kolkata Knight Riders, Ten Doeschate said he is eager to meet team owner Shah Rukh Khan and coach Dav Whatmore.

Asked whether he got a chance to speak to Shah Rukh after he was bought by KKR for $150,000 during last month's auctions, he said, "No, I didn't get a chance."

The best part about Ten Doeschate is his realistic assessment about his cricketing abilities.

"I started off pretty late. I am 30 now and it's only the last two years that I have been playing some quality cricket," he said.

Ten Doeschate did not hide the fact that it was a special effort to score a century in the World Cup and that too against a formidable opponent like England.

"As far as my century is concerned, it was pretty special for me. For the past six weeks, I've struggled with the bat but I've worked really hard in the last two weeks and it was just one of those days," he said.

"It was a really good deck and I picked up the ball pretty early and it was one of those days when everything came naturally," he added.

Holland captain Peter Borren said that there are a few positives that they will take from Tuesday's match.

"A total of 292 was a very good score but we were found wanting while defending. England batted very well, credit to them," he said, adding, "We wanted to be competitive against the top teams and we did just that."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...