Monday, February 21, 2011

World Cup 2011: Expatriates in Pune excited, back home teams

Cricket-loving foreigners in the city would be backing their respective countries when they play their opponents during the ICC Cricket World Cup, which began on Saturday.

An Irish woman, Jan Ali, who runs Lota Heritage Tours, that helps expatriates discover Pune, is in a bit of a spot.

Jan, married to an Indian, Rashid, is in a fix as to whom to support when India take on Ireland on March 6. “My husband is a cricket fanatic and his favourite player is the Indian skipper, MS Dhoni. My son loves Harbhajan Singh and my daughter is all for Sachin Tendulkar. I am a fan of Irish cricketer Naill O’Brien. It will be three against one in my family. So I think I’ll have to shout out the loudest,” said Jan, who is trying to get the tickets, so they can go to Bangalore and watch the match.

Rajev Jagwanee, a businessman born and brought up in Karachi, moved to India in 1994 and considers himself an Indian.

“When India take on Pakistan, I will be sporting the Indian colours. But on the days when Pakistan is playing other opponents, I will be all thumbs up for Pakistan as that’s where I come from. Of course, for all the matches that India is playing, it’s obvious who I will be rooting for,” he said.

Ernst Arndt, from Pretoria in South Africa, who is in Pune on a work contract for a pharmaceuticals company, said South Africa as well as India are really strong teams in the tournament. “Just in case the two reach finals and face each other, then I will definitely go to the stadium to watch the match,” he said.

An expat from Netherlands and managing director of Vanderlande Industries, Willem Thielsch, said that on March 9, when India play Netherlands in New Delhi, he would really try catching it at the stadium. “I have never been to a stadium to watch a cricket match before and this would be a great opportunity. I will cheer for both countries as Netherlands is where I am from, but India is now my home. I will be a winner whoever wins on that day,” he said.

But the Dutchman confessed that he wouldn’t put his money on Netherlands for cricket as they’re known more for soccer.

Michael Thompson, director of Mercedes-Benz International School says, “I am quite excited about the Cricket World Cup. In India, I am aware that it’s a game that unites everyone. Kevin Pietersen is my favourite in the England team, whereas Zaheer Khan is the one I like in the Indian team.

“I would love it if England comes first and India second, but it’s going to be a close competition with the best team winning, which just might be India or even Sri Lanka,” he hedges.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...